All the things you need to know to get started with display advertising in 2024.
You probably haven’t heard the term display advertising in a while. But the catch is, you see it a lot—especially if you’re chronically online.
From Spotify to your most visited Shopify website, display ads are everywhere on the web. And if you’re planning on adding display ads in your next marketing campaign, then you’re just in the right place.
Here’s everything you need to know about digital advertising in 2024.
What is display advertising?
Display advertising is when brands advertise their product and services online. This is usually done through visuals like videos, images, and moving text ads, primarily published on third-party websites.
The most common display ads are called banners. These usually come in various rectangle and square sizes and are tailored to fit a website’s content.
Of course, companies use different types of strategies to get their display ads online. The easiest way to show your display ads is through social media platforms like Meta Ads Manager or Google Ad Manager.
Display ads vs native ads
When you see a display ad, you’ll immediately know that it’s one. That’s not the case for other digital ads though. Native ads are personalized and curated depending on a website or person’s content.
Native ads are getting more popular, especially in social media.
Pros and Cons of Display Advertising in 2024
Going online these days is just seeing one ad after another. Some media experts estimate that the average person can see 4,000 to 10,000 ads every single day.
Display ads aren’t for everyone. And they’re just a small component of your marketing budget. Here’s how to find out if display advertising is the best marketing strategy for your business.
- Better brand awareness. Display ads are usually small in size, but they’re packed with brand information.
- They’re easy to create. Unlike other forms of advertising, there’s not a lot of coordination involved–and most display ads are quite straightforward.
- Easy to reach your audience. No matter where your customers are in the funnel, display ads can reach them in the sales funnel. Oh, and display ads also tend to have a wide reach without being too obtrusive.
- Doesn’t work for everyone. Display ads are great for a quick and punchy introduction. But sometimes that’s not enough to convert customers.
- Ads can be overwhelming. Here’s a simple truth: ads can be annoying. Most people might just gloss over your ad on a website–which is definitely not something that you want.
- Low conversion rates. Unfortunately, most banner ads get less than 0.1% of clicks. Most people see ads early on in the purchasing process, but the real value is showing the ads when they want it the most.
Tips to Nail Display Advertising in 2024
Here are some fail-safe tips to keep your display ads looking fresh and memorable.
1. Be clear about the intent.
Ask any ads man and they’ll tell you that the intent of your ad is the most important component of ad making.
Are you trying to introduce your product for the first time? Or, are you trying to capture a new market segment? Maybe both? You have to think about how, when, and where you are thinking of placing your ads to get the best results.
2. Work on your CTA.
There’s nothing that turns off people more than a pushy ad message. There’s a balance between using persuasive language and being too obtrusive with their online experience.
Strong CTAs should be direct and benefit-oriented. Phrases like “Download Our Free Marketing Report” or “Find Out How You Can Scale Your Creative Services” are great examples.
3. Monitor your performance.
It’s not a successful ad campaign if you don’t have a set of KPIs you want to hit. Depending on your goals, you can be looking at any of the following factors:
- Impressions (how many times your ad appeared on a website)
- Reach (the number of people who saw your ad)
- Conversion rate
And there you have it. A beginner’s guide to finding out the best practices and tips to absolutely crush display advertising in 2024.
Want to pair your awesome brand message with striking visual excellence? Check out DotYeti’s scalable graphic design plans.
No matter what kind of display ad you need–static, animated, video, interactive–their creative teams can whip up something unique and exciting just for you. Book a demo and transform your display ads today!